Term 4 is such a busy time so please make sure you regularly check our calendar, Facebook page and notices home to keep informed of what is coming up. Some of the main events scheduled include:
- Grade 7 Orientation Day to Burnie High on 22nd November.
- Somerset Christmas Parade on 6th December. Please return attendance slips to the office prior to this date so your child can participate.
- The Christmas Roast days are the 10th and 11th December. Please return rsvp and $5 by 3rd December.
- Grade 6 Celebration Assembly and Leavers’ Dinner is Monday 16th December.
- Thank You Morning Tea for all volunteers is Wednesday 18th December between 10:30-11:00.
- K-6 Performance Assembly is 18th December commencing at 11:00.
- Last day of school and Big Day In is Thursday 19th December.
Girls Cricket Final
On Friday 15th November nine of our Grade 5 and 6 girls travelled to Hobart for the State Cricket Finals. It was a very big day with the bus leaving at 5:25am and arriving back at school at 6:30pm. The team did a wonderful job winning two out of their three games but unfortunately did not qualify for the finals. Well done on a great effort.
A huge thank you for Mrs Jaffray and Mrs Tatlow for accompanying the girls for the day.
We have had a few reports of cars neglecting to stop for pedestrians at our crossings before and after school. Please take extra care when you see our flags out and slow down and stop when students or families are approaching or waiting to cross. We appreciate your support in keeping our school community safe.
We have noticed that a number of girls have long or fake nails. We do not have an official policy on this, however, due to safety of other students and injury to themselves when playing or at PE we would appreciate your support in discouraging this.
All our students will be attending this amazing concert this coming Monday 25th November.
The classes will attend the following sessions:
Middle block performance:
Leaving school at 11:00am. Returning at 1:00pm
Prep, Prep/1, 1A, 2B, 2/3 and 3/4A
Afternoon block performance:
Leaving school at 12:45pm. Returning at 2:45pm.
1B, 2A, 3/4B, 3/4C, 5A, 5B, 6A and 6B
We have been having lots of fun in 2A experimenting with different art techniques. We have completed some pencil sketches, oil pastel & dye wash and water colour sketching.
Feel free to pop in and have a look!
Thank you to those of you who are following our previously published expectations while using the carpark before and after school. It can be challenging, especially when raining. Usually the majority of the traffic has left by 3:10pm. Just a reminder:
- Moving traffic has right of way.
- If you are attempting to reverse out of parking spaces please be patient and wait until the flow of traffic has cleared. If you are in the flow, please keep driving instead of slowing the traffic flow to let people in.
- If possible (not in the western diagonal parking) reverse into the straight parking spaces.
- Parking or standing in the pick-up/drop-off zone (to the east of the office area) is not permitted between 8:45-9:15 and 2:45-3:15. Stay in your car with the engine running.
- Move your car to the front of the line to allow other cars access to the area.
- Try another lap or find a park in a designated area if your child is late to the pick-up zone.
- Avoid double parking in the pick-up area as it becomes very dangerous when students attempt to walk between cars.
- Delay pick up until after 3:00pm as teachers do not dismiss students until 3:00pm. It may be best to alter your family’s pick up time to 3:10 as this allows your child time to move to the pick-up area, and you to avoid the rush.
Please keep an eye out in your childs bag as very soon we will be sending home Validation and Data Collection forms for 2020. It is very helpful if these can be returned to the office as soon as possible, to allow for your childs information to be updated in readiness for the year ahead. If you are unable to return these this term please bring them along to book sales day next year, dates to be advised.
The School Fire Education Program is an initiative of the Tasmania Fire Service and is offered to all Tasmanian primary schools. More than 95% of Tasmanian children participate in the program at least twice during their primary school education (https://www.tfseducation.com.au/).
For the last 2 weeks students from Prep to Grade 6 have been involved in Fire Safety with Fire Fighter Craig. Kinder students have had a great time dressing up and role playing in Fire suits that Craig brought along too. I am sure there has been lots of discussions at home about placement of smoke alarms and the exit route from your houses if there was to be a fire. Children were thoroughly engaged with learning about how to exit if a fire was present and what things may cause danger. Thank you to Tasmania Fire Service for offering this wonderful program.
Please note there has been a change of lunch days for two of our classes. Kinder A will be having their christmas lunch on Wednesday 11th December and Class 2/3 will be on Tuesday 10th December.